Part 4 | Long-term B2B Success Starts With the Fundamentals
August 10, 2017 by Thanx Media
We hope you’ve enjoyed our series inspired by the Forrester report “B2B E-commerce: A Trillion Dollars For the Taking”. Parts I-III covered:
Optimizing the B2B Experience to Meet B2C Expectations
Overcoming B2B E-commerce Channel Conflict
Source B2B E-commerce Talent Creatively
In this final Part IV of the series, we’re going to wrap up with a summary of the fundamentals for today’s B2B sales organization.
Three Fundamentals for B2B E-commerce Success
1. Build a customer-centric B2B e-commerce experience
- It’s not like the old days — Online commerce has made customer loyalty harder to come by. It’s not like the “old days” when there was a high cost associated with changing vendors and the interaction with a sales rep was the buying experience.
- B2C sets the standards — Today, B2B e-commerce organizations need to adopt a customer-first strategy and build experiences that meet or exceed customer experience standards that have been set by leaders in the B2C industry.
- B2B competition is about adding value even after the initial sale — The B2B organizations that will succeed in the future are the ones that employ best practices to deliver relevant and value-added experience that go beyond the initial sale.
2. Implement self-service tools and migrate customers online
- Make it easy and profitable for your company to do business with companies of any size and reduce the costs associated with routine account management tasks by using an e-commerce platform with self-service tools.
3. Think creatively about staffing
- Think about B2C experiences — In addition to educating and training internal resources to be valuable contributors to your e-commerce team, invest in experienced B2C professionals to add to your team.
- Use recruiting tools — Find B2C pros through organizations such as Shop.org, tap into personal and professional networks and use recruiters such as Ecommerce Recruiter, who specialize in finding and placing e-commerce professionals.